What To Do After Your Home Is Flood Damaged

Flood water is often dangerous, due to the speed, depth, hidden obstacles or contamination in the fast-flowing water. The most critical thing to do is to make sure that you and your family remain safe! Either move to upper parts of your home and call for assistance as soon as you can, or leave the property by a safe, dry route straight away. If anyone remains in the flooded property and the mains electricity supply was not turned off before the flood, do not touch any electrical appliances until you are told it is safe to do so and stay out of floodwater at all costs.

Call 999 if there is any threat to life.

When “everybody” is safe follow the below to recover from this flood damage:

What Are The First Things To Do After A Flood?

Firstly, notify your insurance company that your home has been flooded. Although you cannot yet identify the damage caused, you can establish whether they will provide alternative accommodation and emergency funds needed and the next steps in your possible claim. If your insurance company will not actually provide cover alternative accommodation, you should consider:

  • Staying with family, friends or neighbours (cheaper but not a long-term solution)
  • Renting another property in the area
  • Staying in a hotel or guesthouse (keep the receipts)
  • Applying for housing to your local authority, if you fall into a priority housing need.
  • Notify your family, close friends and your employer that you are safe and possibly in need of help.

This then ensures that your family and close friends know where you are and that you are safe, so they do not worry. Do not return to your home until you are told it is safe to do so. This is paramount!

What To Do After Returning To Your Flood Damaged Home

Make your own record of the flood damage and contact your insurance company.

You may have done this already (to advise them that the property has been affected by flooding and to arrange temporary accommodation) but, once you regain access to the property, you will need to contact them again to arrange for a loss adjuster to visit as soon as possible and to establish how the claims process works and timeline.

Flood Damage Services Near Me

It is essential that you maintain possession of any flood damaged items that you intend to claim against your insurance, as they may be required as evidence. It is possible that your local authority may offer a collective refuse collection scheme. Contact your local council to enquire about this.

Start The Process Of Drying Out.

Where your insurer is covering part or all the cost, the loss adjuster will be the main point of contact between you and the said insurance company. Although penultimate decisions on the claim are the responsibility of the insurance company, it is the loss adjuster who you will deal with on a regular basis. So do not commission any works until the insurer has agreed. If you are not insured though, you can start work immediately.

You may need your lender’s (bank or building society) documents for consent, or consent from a landlord, for any flood repairs or replacement of parts of the house, so check your mortgage deed, lease or call the lender. It is sensible to wait until you have that consent before starting work.

How Do I Repair My Home After A Flood

If you own the property, start to organise the process of drying out and eventual repair/replacement. If you are a tenant of the property, or only lease part of the building, it is likely to be your landlord who organises this process. Where an insurer is covering part or all the cost, their loss adjuster will be the main point of contact between you and the insurance company.

If your property is likely to flood again, you may want to do the repair work in a way that helps to reduce the damage that the next flood causes. This can be done by installing property flood resilience measures. Sometimes your insurer will be willing to fund all or part of the cost of that work.

Claim Compensation For Loss Of Utilities

During flooding there may be gas, electrical and water cuts – more than likely actually! If these are prolonged (2 hours or longer) and occur without any prior notice, you could be entitled to compensation. Guidance on how much you may be entitled to and how to apply is available from the Citizens Advice Bureau on getting compensation if you have a power cut is available here.

Water And Flood Damage Repairs Exeter

Orchard Preservations undertakes the control and prevention of flood damage in Devon. We have more than 20 years of experience in water damage repair and are equipped to handle both small and large projects. We have worked with homes, offices, and even shopping centres, and have successfully managed to decontaminate and dry the property after water damage.

Recommended Posts
Free Survey

Request a Free Survey

Fill in the following form and a member of staff will call you back shortly

Preparing For A Flood